I love bling. I can't help it. If it's shiny or sparkly, I'm all over it. I've been on the lookout for sparkly gold flip-flops all summer but haven't been been able to find any that were less than $15 (I'm also cheap.) So, I decided to make my own. I ordered a pair from Old Navy with an random gold shell charm attached to it for $3.
What I used - gold flip flops, Mod Podge, gold glitter, foam paint brush and sand paper (not pictured.)
1. Remove shell charm. It was attached with thread so I just snipped it off with little scissors.
(Not pictured.) Scratch up the plastic strap using the sandpaper (I used a medium grit, size 60.) Little flecks of the plastic might come off, no biggie. You could skip this step, but I have found that the glitter adheres much better to the roughened up plastic.
2. Add Mod Podge to the strap carefully. If any gets on the underside of the strap or on the the foam foot pad, just wipe it up quickly. I didn't add glue to the part that goes between my toes as it won't show when they're on.
3. Dump lots of glitter on. I always add way too much and then just shake it off.
4. Let the glue dry. It's so sparkly!
5. Add another layer of Mod Podge on top of the dried glitter. This seals the glitter so none will come off.
6. Let it dry and you're! You can see that adding the top layer of Mod Podge does dim the shininess of the glitter just a bit, but I think it's worth it to ensure that it stays put. Make sure to wipe off the foam part using a slightly damp cloth to get the excess glitter off.
Enjoy your new sparkly flip-flops! (EEK! I need a pedicure!)